Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - [分享]NYU Stern MBA students taking questions!

[分享]NYU Stern MBA students taking questions!

留學美洲的各種資訊交流

版主: raist, Opeman

文章JLIU » 2005-12-11 01:45

Teresa - here are the extracts from the DBI syllabus. Hope it helps answer your question.

This 11- day “Doing Business in …” (DBI) course includes an eight-day intensive course exploring doing business in Chile in the context of Latin America and the world economy. Topics covered include Chilean marketing, free-trade pacts, financial markets, strategy, work environment, culture, history, and law. Key Chilean industries addressed are wine, copper mining, and salmon. In addition, students will visit local companies and the Chilean Stock Market.

Students will be required to complete pre-trip readings; complete a pre-trip project; attend the pre-departure class session in New York City; attend all lectures, presentations and site visits in Chile during the 8-day academic program; and complete a study group project while in Chile to be presented to the entire group on the final day of the course.

DBI Program Fee for Chile is $1,100, which Includes: Hotel room with breakfast for 11 nights, corporate visits with transportation, group trips with transportation (including Santiago city tour, the wine tour, the Andes hiking trip, and the Valparaiso/Viña del Mar excursion), 2 group lunches, 2 group dinners and Course materials distributed in Chile. Airfare and other personal expenses are covered by students.
JLIU
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 3
註冊時間: 2005-12-08 14:20

文章cchsu40 » 2005-12-11 02:16

TeresaChen \$m[1]:
3.從網站上知道,STERN尚有IMP、GLOBAL SHORT TERM PROGRAMS、DOING BUSINESS INXXX,其中IMP的課程選修是依照當地的開課情況再選嗎?上課使用的語言也是依照當地的語言,還是一樣用英語上課呢?交換的申請是否有何特殊限制?

順便提一下
如果你有興趣到其他學校交換
Stern 應該是很好的選擇

交換學生這檔事
其實有一些TRICKY的地方
假設ABC校的MBA想交換到SPAIN的IESE
但如果IESE沒有學生想交換到ABC校
那一般是不能成行的
這是一種MATCH的程序

如果在比較不是那麼受歡迎的美國學校
其實能交換出去的機會相對較少
但NYU STERN 一直都是各國交換學生的熱門首選
以MATCH的觀念來說
能夠順利交換出去的名額與機會相對多很多
像今年就我所知
到現在還有去 RSM 和SPAIN一些學校的機會
更不用說是去亞洲或中南美洲交換了
cchsu40
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 20
註冊時間: 2005-12-08 12:43
來自: New York

文章bluemoon » 2005-12-11 05:23

babe \$m[1]:Hi all,

I am a Stern grad - perhaps I can offer a perspective from a person who has gone thru the whole process (and has enjoyed of course).

Just a quick intro of myself, obviously I read Chinese but will take me 3 hours to type up something (estimated by Sushi). Prior to coming to Stern, I have had the experience in the technology industry in oveseas and mainland. Currently employed as an equity analyst covering Greater China, I am happy to share with you my experience in NYC and my post-mba life.

First of all, I would take on Teresa's question - 可否介紹STERN是如何幫助學生尋求希望的工作與行業呢?
Before I attempt to answer, I would like to give you a reality check of b-school in general. You will not be fed with job offers; you will need do thing that you have never been confortable with in the past and be a person that you have never envisioned before in order to succeed. Going back to your question, apart from the close ties every top schools has developed with industry big names, there are a number of things Stern offers.
1) Stern has done a great job in preparing one to be more polished for the whole recruiting process. MBA1s will spend their Fridays (no, we don't have classes on Fridays... I miss those days.) going thru countless work shops aiming to further develop various personal and professional aspects.
2) Stern/Sternies fosters a culture of strong bonding between MBA2s and 1s. (the fact that my MBA1 pulled me into this forum illustrates this exact point.) I benefited a whole lot from my seniors. I am still very grateful that I often got yelled at as an MBA1 back then. (Those with thin-skin please apply to other well-respected school. Yes, you will be yelled at here at Stern.) It is thru those very difficult times I sharpened my focus, developed life-long friendship with my seniors, and be very thankful in hindsight. I believe most of my fellow Sternies would agree with me that it's the MBA2s and the support they offer that help us all thru the process.
3) MBA1s will attend countless corporate presentations (organized by the school) and informationals (arranged by oneself). Being in downtown New York gives you great advantage but also hurts you. Because we can so close to the headquarters of major corporates, you automatically gain quick access to them. But being too close translates to a lot of hardship - these corporates can easily gauge your enthusiasm. If you don't visit them often, it tells them how little you want the job.

I would also like to tackle a general misconception. I see quite a few of you (and others) views Asia as a backup choice. Most applicants would feel that they got the language advantage and know the local industry, hence giving them an edge in the Asian job market. Conversations with any Asian grads and students would disprove this. Imagining every year there is at least 400 top-school MBAs with the same language advantage and local experience applying to positions in both US and Asia, one would realize it's equally tough to land something in Asian and US.

Lastly, chen1828 wrote that he/she wishes to strengthen IT的background和networking. I afraid you will be disappointed in any b-schools. Students come to b-schools for a different reason. I have had my industry background and contracts prior to Stern. It is the stuff outside of my old circles that has helped me the most. Think about why you want to apply and what you wish to develop first.

Comments and questions are always welcome.

Welcome babe! Nice to see you here speaking as an alumnus. And thank you for taking the time to participate in the forum. We all know that you are extremely busy.
bluemoon
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 11
註冊時間: 2005-10-07 02:00
來自: New York City

文章gogo » 2005-12-11 05:43

大家好
我剛剛好在另外一篇文章裡面看到pain2的文章
才轉來這裡發問
也想問一下
裡面提到的structure finance
是指什麼呢?
蠻好奇的
謝謝
gogo
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 64
註冊時間: 2005-11-28 12:51
來自: Taiwan

文章howl » 2005-12-11 08:02

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the late response. I am also a second-year MBA student at Stern specializing in finance. I am also from Taiwan, but I lived in California for a few years before moving to New York to attend Stern. I am also happy to answer any questions that you may have about Stern! Please excuse me as I don't have Chinese software on my computer so I am going to write in English. Here are some additional thoughts to Savana's question on how Stern is distinguished from Columbia and other business schools:

I cannot emphasize enough that Stern's location really makes a difference. It affects my daily lifestyle and the relationships I build with my classmates. As Sushi mentioned earlier, the Stern building is located in the Greenwich Village, surrounded by restaurants, cafes, bars, and shops, all within walking distance. I come to school almost daily either for classes or to work on group or student activity projects. While we are in school, we often go grab lunch or coffee together or meet in nearby cafes to discuss our projects or just to hang out. Or after a long day of studying or meetings, we would also often go to a restaurant or bar together and unwind before we head home. Living here is very similar to living in Taipei (except for obvious differences such as it is snowing outside now). If I want to see my friends, I can just call them up anytime: "what are you doing? did you eat yet?" And we could meet anywhere in Manhattan at just a short subway or cab ride away.

This was completely different when I went to college in California. My college had a beautiful suburban campus, but the culture there was: everyone drives to school. Places are very spread out so there was nowhere to walk to go eat or hang out with fellow classmates. After classes, we basically just drove home. If we wanted to meet up, we have to plan ahead. For example, "let's meet Friday at Muse at 9pm." We simply won't just play it by ear like we do at Stern. Stern makes it much more easier to build friendships.

This past summer, I worked with a few interns from Duke, Michigan, and Wharton. Based on their descriptions, their lifestyle is similar to my college experience. They live in suburban or rural areas, and they drive to school. They usually go home after class unless they have to stay at school to study or work on group projects, and they eat in their school cafeterias. They also have a weekly gatherings such as our "Beer Blast," but their social and cultural life just seems much more limited than ours in comparison.

Further, as Manhattan is such an attractive place to work post-graduation, from time to time, we also get together with "MBA3's", or last year's graduates from Stern, who are currently working in New York City. Even though they are now busy Wall Street bankers, strategy consultants, or star marketers, we still keep a tight network and see them regularly at parties or gatherings over the weekends. Sometimes they even bring "MBA4's" or "MBA5's." This provides a great mentoring and networking resource to us as well.

To give you an example of how we leverage our New York advantage, recently, my team and I just completed a brand strategy consulting project for an Internet company here in New York. For our Brand Planning class, we worked with this company to help them define their brand identity and presented recommendations to their executive management team. We were introduced to this company by a fellow Stern graduate who is currently working at this Internet company. Because she believed in the abilities of Stern students, she came back to Stern to ask students to help her complete this project for her company. After we finished our presentation to management, their head of marketing, who is a Columbia MBA, commented that he was immensely impressed with Stern's marketing program despite the fact that we are known as a finance school. On a personal level, I thought that it was great to gain hands-on marketing and consulting experience through working with real clients.

I think this is a huge Stern advantage that is undersold in many of our publications.

As for a comparison to Columbia, please refer to Sushi's earlier comments regarding their location.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone with the application process!

howl
howl
新手會員
新手會員

註冊時間: 2005-12-09 10:39

文章howl » 2005-12-11 10:01

2.電影系是否有對外系生擋修?

Teresa - if you are interested in Stern's EMT (Entertainment, Media, and Technology) program, you will not be disappointed.

To give you an example, currently I am working with a graduate student Film Director from the NYU Tisch School of Arts to enter the competition (Promotion Pictures) to make a movie for Unilever's Axe deodorant brand. Bascially, students from Stern act as Producers and partner up with students from Tisch to develop a film concept, script, and budget that will support the marketing of the Axe brand. We pitch our idea to Unilever and a panel of judges, and the winning team will receive US$40,000 to make a short 3-7 minute promotional film for Unilever. The film will be similar to the BMW films made to promote their cars. So far it has been extremely interesting - we've had several brainstorming sessions with the Director from Tisch to come up with a story that is not only compelling but embodies the key aspirations of the Axe brand. It is also fun to work with art students as they are so different in their thinking and capabilities from Stern students. I really think it is a special opportunity unique to the Stern experience to be able to participate in a project and work with real directors to make a real promotional film for a company. So far, my team has already turned in our initial package for the first round of judging. I will keep you updated on the process if our team makes it into the next round.

Also, another friend of mine at Stern is taking an EMT class called Professional Management in Entertainment and Media. Every class, they have a distinguished guest speaker from the entertainment and media industry come to talk to them about management in their respective fields. For a class project, they work on developing new business concepts from existing media in the industry. For example, my friend's team has developed an idea for a video game based on popular movie themes. They even have a title, script, characters, description of game play, and storyboard developed for their video game. It seems like a very interesting class.

Further, to again emphasize the New York advantage, as a student interested in the EMT field, there is really no better place to be than New York. Other than getting speakers such as Donald Trump and Martha Stewart coming to speak at Stern, all the major television networks, many prominent newspapers, magazines, and advertising agencies are all based in New York. I recently volunteered at CNBC's Annual CEO Awards event held at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in New York. During the event, I was able to meet in person and hear from speakers such as Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks and the popular anchorwoman of CNBC, Maria Bartiromo. There are so many interesting opportunities such as these that come up at Stern, and it will be up to you to allocate your time between events to make the best of your two-years life at Stern.

P.S. To answer your real question :PP , I am also trying to take a class next semester from Tisch. I will update you on whether it is possible.

howl
howl
新手會員
新手會員

註冊時間: 2005-12-09 10:39

文章bluemoon » 2005-12-11 14:04

howl \$m[1]:2.電影系是否有對外系生擋修?

P.S. To answer your real question :PP , I am also trying to take a class next semester from Tisch. I will update you on whether it is possible.

howl

Hey, which class are you taking from Tisch? I'm thinking about that too! ok, we'll talk offline.
bluemoon
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 11
註冊時間: 2005-10-07 02:00
來自: New York City

文章RaymondL » 2005-12-11 14:08

gogo \$m[1]:大家好
我剛剛好在另外一篇文章裡面看到pain2的文章
才轉來這裡發問
也想問一下
裡面提到的structure finance
是指什麼呢?
蠻好奇的
謝謝

Hi gogo,

簡單的說structured finance指的就是前兩年台灣金融圈很熱門的話題-資產證券化. 隨著政府明文制定法律加以規範之後, 這種新興的業務在台灣的確也成長的相當快速

他的基本概念就是幫助金融機構或一般公司設計並發行以特定資產未來可產生的現金流量為還本付息來源的固定收益證券(fixed income securities); 一般而言資產可以分為金融(銀行持有的信用卡/現金卡債權, 房貸等)與非金融(例如不動產或應收帳款)兩類.

structured finance與一般債券最大的不同在於他透過某種機制(在台灣稱為特殊目的信託)將資產本身的信用風險與發行公司的信用風險隔絕開了; 因為如此, 有些信用評等稍低但握有良好資產的公司/金融機構也可以藉由此種方式取得成本合理的融資, 因為債券持有人在做投資決策時只需考慮資產本身的credit即可

希望我有回答到你的問題!
RaymondL
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 2
註冊時間: 2005-12-09 12:02

文章reohuang » 2005-12-11 20:13

強烈感謝各位Sternies的經驗分享和資訊提供~
這是近期以來最火的系列post以及最強的alumni團體了~
相信對於Stern有興趣的申請者一定受益匪淺~
一定也吸引了很多人躍躍欲試的想加入這個family吧~ :PP

Keep going Sternies~ and thanks for your kindly help~
頭像
reohuang
高級會員
高級會員

文章: 305
註冊時間: 2004-11-23 01:44

文章Savana » 2005-12-11 21:46

I have been enjoying this discussion very much. Really appreciate Sternies for your passion.
Savana
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 35
註冊時間: 2005-10-28 21:24

文章sushi » 2005-12-12 00:29

reohuang \$m[1]:強烈感謝各位Sternies的經驗分享和資訊提供~
這是近期以來最火的系列post以及最強的alumni團體了~
相信對於Stern有興趣的申請者一定受益匪淺~
一定也吸引了很多人躍躍欲試的想加入這個family吧~ :PP

Keep going Sternies~ and thanks for your kindly help~

Savana \$m[1]:I have been enjoying this discussion very much. Really appreciate Sternies for your passion.

很高興這個討論串有幫助大家更了解本校。

其實我一直覺得現在正在申請的未來Sternies應該是最幸福的一屆,有這麼多熱心的「校友」﹝就是即將畢業的我們啦:P﹞罩著,不管想往哪個領域或地區發展,都可以縮短學習曲線。

順帶一提,NYU Stern Winter Happy Hour現在報名已經呈現大爆滿狀態,我們的原則是會保留一些位子給第一輪已經丟application和打算今年第二輪申請的人,至於明年或後年才打算申請的同學,如果太晚報名,就可能只能說抱歉,如果暑假我們有辦活動,一定會通知你的。

最後參加名單我會在本週和學校確認申請者名單後,一一寄信給各位。等待期間如果有問題,歡迎在此討論串下繼續提問。
sushi
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 58
註冊時間: 2005-03-23 11:29
來自: NYU Stern School of Business

文章piyo » 2005-12-12 02:18

看了這麼熱情的校友回覆,很後悔沒有丟Stern的第一輪

我在選校時,把「人」這個因素看得很重要
因為那是一個我要度過人生中精華兩年的地方
Sternies的熱情真的讓我印象深刻

而且......NYU還有我想學的攝影以及電影
天啊!
為什麼我不丟第一輪!!!

(其實只能怪自己太會拖......)
頭像
piyo
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 224
註冊時間: 2005-06-16 20:33
來自: M78星雲

文章sushi » 2005-12-12 02:54

piyo \$m[1]:看了這麼熱情的校友回覆,很後悔沒有丟Stern的第一輪

我在選校時,把「人」這個因素看得很重要
因為那是一個我要度過人生中精華兩年的地方
Sternies的熱情真的讓我印象深刻

而且......NYU還有我想學的攝影以及電影
天啊!
為什麼我不丟第一輪!!!

(其實只能怪自己太會拖......)

沒關係啊,還有第二輪啊。
我自己和大部分我這屆的台灣同學,也是第二輪才丟的,
所以你機會還是很大的。
第二輪的截止時間應該是1/15,還有一個月,別急...
sushi
初級會員
初級會員

文章dock » 2005-12-12 03:10

多謝各位sternies~
提供這麼多的寶貴訊息 也讓我見識到sternies的團結
真是謝謝個位特別撥空來介紹
也讓我對stern有更深刻的瞭解
:laugh
頭像
dock
高級會員
高級會員

文章: 317
註冊時間: 2004-10-30 19:56

文章sushi » 2005-12-12 03:47

Hi Sternies,

剛剛收到一封信,發問者不好意思公開問,我這個行銷人也不好意思誤人子弟,所以代他貼上來請Stern的財經主修們,尤其是有志往IB發展的同學回答吧:

「我看目前出現的Sternies 好像大多提到IB方面的工作。我知道IB是很熱門的行業,但是我有點不清楚去IB工作最後的職涯發展是什麼? 總不可能一直在IB裡面沒日沒夜的工作到退休吧? 走IB路線的人最後大多會怎麼走呢?

另外就是好像都沒有人提到corporate finance。我想念FINANCE想像中的路線就是唸完可能去做financial analyst,或是進入consulting industry 最後會想進入一般corporate,往高階經理人甚至以成為CFO為目標走。因為我沒接觸過FINANCE的公司,也不知道所有FINANCE的出路,如果我問的問題實在太沒有營養請見諒一下。

我很單純的對FINANCE有興趣,可能還沒有什麼時間好好研究STERN的課程,這些粗淺的問題就麻煩一下SUSHI姐給我提點一下,讓我增進了解吧 。」
sushi
初級會員
初級會員

上一頁下一頁

回到 美洲MBA留學相談室

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 14 位訪客