Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - 請問關於business PhD申請

請問關於business PhD申請

所有博士申請的經驗交流分享

請問關於business PhD申請

文章novastar » 2007-11-14 00:45

Hi all

最近正在準備申請商學院博士班

領域應該會是策略跟科技管理方面

自己本身是商學背景加上目前在美國唸科技管理碩士

Master GPA 3.6 UIUC MS Tech

Under GPA 3.2 last two year 3.8 NCKU BA

但因為跟美國老師沒有很熟

熟的也剛好都離開去別的地方高就

最近跟一個老師有比較多互動

但他並非本相關科系教授

而且上課課程尚未結束

不知道貿然請他寫推薦信是否適合

所以推薦信可能還是台灣之前的教授加上以前工作的主管

跟一封過氣的政治人物

預估推薦信沒有加成的功用

沒有發表paper

GRE v620 q790 awa unknown 但預估不會很好

目標很想上UC Berkeley Hass school Business & Public Policy

但Hass博士班似乎還沒收過台灣學生

而且該領域平均GRE V690 Q790 18個博士生只有2個國際學生

而且我研究過該program的師資只有少數老師想做科技管理

但目前18個研究生有2個是作科技管理的

那少數老師又是來頭很大 推測寫email去應該也不會回搞不好都沒時間看

因為看CV外務超多

目前已email一位科技管理博士研究生試圖尋求幫忙

不過等了幾天還沒回應似乎也不會回了

這幾天應該還會寫信去admission office詢問有哪些老師對科技管理有興趣

請問各位先進有什麼建議可以增加錄取的機率
novastar
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 8
註冊時間: 2007-11-09 03:12

文章Jade » 2007-11-16 00:51

Why Hass-- since there aren't so many professors doing the research you are interested in?
Jade
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 129
註冊時間: 2004-12-10 13:31

文章novastar » 2007-11-16 01:01

Hi

其實目前選校有偏向選地點的趨勢
因為住在鄉下兩年了很想到有人煙且氣溫好的地方
而且自覺本身的條件並非突出
覺得能擠進top10 邊緣的學校已經萬幸了

那您有任何推薦的學校嗎?
因為其實目前深深覺得自己資源十分的缺乏
無法很了解美國博士班的生態
感謝您的回覆
novastar
新手會員
新手會員

文章hughes0305 » 2007-12-05 00:19

I think Jade pointed out a good question, why Haas? The study of PhD in Business should be foucs on "research interest", and if there is a strong interest between the professor and you, that will be a plus. Otherwise, it is not easy to persuade them to let you in.

I will suggest you to visit PhD students at UIUC and have some talk with them there. I think that might be helpful. Furthermore, browse some PhD websites and see if the faculty there can interest you.

I also thought my background is strong, were it not for my master degree not in US, I think I have the chance to get into top 10. However, after entering the University of Maryland and talking to students and professors, I can tell you that the school can not bring you bright future in this field. Everything depends on your "ability of academic research." I think this is how your life will be in the near future, think, write, rewrite, submit, revise, resubmit, and publish.

By the way, I don't think it is a good strategy to write email to the office and ask which professors are interested in a specific topic. They have websites!! It is out job and responsibility to do this by ourselves. Don't you think so? Most of the professors in business school are quite busy, for either publication or making money. They don't really worried about "no good applicants are coming". There are plenty of "well-qualified" applicants each year, especially for those top business schools. Well....that's my thought and my experience. Sounds subjective but hopefully is useful.

Good Luck!
最後由 hughes0305 於 2007-12-05 11:28 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
hughes0305
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 179
註冊時間: 2005-11-01 23:50
來自: Maryland-USA

文章antipower » 2007-12-05 08:26

Why Berkeley? Why Business & Public Policy? Why Ph.D?
Please don't say because of the weather and location.
And please go to school websites for further information.
Since you are studying your master in US now, you have much more information than people still in Taiwan.
If you are really interested in Ph.D in Business, go to PhD Panel Presentations in Chicago since you are in UIUC.

Hughes0305.... It's almost the final week.
Cheers!!!
antipower
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 66
註冊時間: 2005-07-18 13:35

文章novastar » 2007-12-05 09:24

Hi......

I think I am not really a strongly competitive applicant. Therefore, maybe the really excellent school won't have my seat there. And, I think both of the graduate students study Technology management will graduate soon. Do you think it's a good reason to apply that area in UC berkeley? (smile) Actually, I am a cower :p
novastar
新手會員
新手會員

文章Strategy » 2007-12-05 09:43

novastar \$m[1]:Hi......

I think I am not really a strongly competitive applicant. Therefore, maybe the really excellent school won't have my seat there. And, I think both of the graduate students study Technology management will graduate soon. Do you think it's a good reason to apply that area in UC berkeley? (smile) Actually, I am a cower :p

cower是動詞

你是要講coward吧.

英文不加強進博班混得下去嗎?

不強就別進Hass吧.

因為該校研究科技管理的要畢業所以你想申請那,

還真是比看排名選校更是令人無言.

個人覺得你的成就動機實在有點低.

還是出社會面對現實找工作吧.
Strategy
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 18
註冊時間: 2007-11-28 09:21

文章novastar » 2007-12-05 10:49

I think it's true for me to work harder on English and I will.
I have already worked for five year.
I think it's just a joke. If I got GMAT over than 750 and good papers, I will go for MIT or some other good schools.
novastar
新手會員
新手會員

文章hughes0305 » 2007-12-05 11:22

呵! 其實GMAT750沒太多用啦!
GMAT成績 在50以後的學校 可能很吃香!
在TOP 50, 其實 大家的GMAT都不會太差!
所以比的就是研究能力(論文發表, 修課記錄含GPA) 推薦信(有大頭寫 絕對有差, 大頭是指學術圈大頭, 像台灣的李遠哲吧)
再者 就是面試能力(想法, 英文表達能力, 邏輯)

唉 總之啊...商博的申請真的是很難
自己的運氣真的是很好!
所以, 現在雖然很苦 有時候很想哭
但 一想到自己曾經這麼努力想要擠進這個圈子
就會告訴自己要堅持下去! 最後兩週了!!

喔對了!! 應該是Haas 不是Hass! 要小心!
頭像
hughes0305
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 179
註冊時間: 2005-11-01 23:50
來自: Maryland-USA

文章Jade » 2007-12-05 13:34

novastar \$m[1]:I think it's true for me to work harder on English and I will.
I have already worked for five year.
I think it's just a joke. If I got GMAT over than 750 and good papers, I will go for MIT or some other good schools.

I worked for six years before I applied to PhD programs in management, and yet I still worked hard on my English and especially on those standardized tests.

I had a GMAT score of 750 and some papers (whether they were good or not was beyond my own judgment, but they eventually were presented in mainstream conferences and got published), but I did not get into MIT-- in fact, I didn't even bother to try since I knew my chance was very slim.

I set my goals based on both subjective and objective criteria-- my own preferences, aspirations and my self-confidence sure matter, but I guess what mattered more was (1) whether the faculty members in my dream schools would be interested in me, and this depends largely on the fit between their research interests and mine; (2) whether my background and credentials are competitive enough, compared to many OTHER competitors.

The fact is, those objective criteria often are much more important than subjective ones. After all, we are competing with a bunch of strong candidates (many of them are much better than ourselves), and the admission process is extremely competitive, especially for such good schools as Berkeley. (Oh, and BTW, Berkeley can be regarded as a really excellent school-- not much weaker than MIT)

I apologize in advance if my comments look a bit too "direct", but it just seemed to me that your view about PhD applications wasn't realistic enough, which might eventually lead to dismay and unnecessary waste of time and money. Of course, I hope that this won't happen and that you can get into whatever schools you want, but it's always a good idea to do more careful self-appraisal and "fit" analysis (evaluating the fit between your interests and those of professors at your dream schools) before spending hundreds of dollars on application fees.
Jade
中級會員
中級會員

文章novastar » 2007-12-05 13:49

Hi Jade,

多謝您再次提出您的建議
就像之前提到的我是真的是盲目的瞎申請的
而且也真的沒想到商學院博士班申請的困難度如此之高
成績優秀是必然的 還要有更多的外在因素要加強
回想我GPA沒有很好 也沒有 paper 更沒有大頭的推薦信
看來就像你說的不要去浪費時間申請這些學校了:p
不過已經投資一些下去了就試試看吧
至少也做過了

PS: 我會舉MIT純粹是假設他科技管理應該很強而以 並無其他意思
novastar
新手會員
新手會員

文章novastar » 2007-12-05 13:53

喔 事實上申請的時候是有看學校研究的領域的並不是亂投
祇是不知道他該領域好壞而已
感謝各位的指教跟資訊囉
真的是讓我得好好容新安排一下申請的學校了
novastar
新手會員
新手會員

文章Jade » 2007-12-06 15:28

In fact, your background is not bad-- decent enough for a nice school.

I think the important thing for you now is to identify schools that fit with your research interest (with at least two professors doing the type of research you're interested in), and pick 6-8 to focus on. In terms of general ranking, I think you should have good shot at schools that rank from 20 to 50. Of course you can try your dream schools like Berkeley, but you may also want to include a few safe bets.

If possible, ask for at least one recommendation letter from professors at UIUC. It would be a major weakness if you've done a master's in the U.S. yet don't have any reference from your current professors. But of course, only do so if you are confident that (s)he will write good things about you.
Jade
中級會員
中級會員

文章hsudk » 2007-12-06 21:48

Hi Jade,

Would you please enlighten me about under what name you got your papers published? "Jade"?

I am taking an OB seminar this semester and considering OB as a minor. I am also writing a paper and hope to send it to somewhere. Taking a look at your research work can give me a guideline. Thank you.

Jade \$m[1]:

I worked for six years before I applied to PhD programs in management, and yet I still worked hard on my English and especially on those standardized tests.

I had a GMAT score of 750 and some papers (whether they were good or not was beyond my own judgment, but they eventually were presented in mainstream conferences and got published), but I did not get into MIT-- in fact, I didn't even bother to try since I knew my chance was very slim.

I set my goals based on both subjective and objective criteria-- my own preferences, aspirations and my self-confidence sure matter, but I guess what mattered more was (1) whether the faculty members in my dream schools would be interested in me, and this depends largely on the fit between their research interests and mine; (2) whether my background and credentials are competitive enough, compared to many OTHER competitors.

The fact is, those objective criteria often are much more important than subjective ones. After all, we are competing with a bunch of strong candidates (many of them are much better than ourselves), and the admission process is extremely competitive, especially for such good schools as Berkeley. (Oh, and BTW, Berkeley can be regarded as a really excellent school-- not much weaker than MIT)

I apologize in advance if my comments look a bit too "direct", but it just seemed to me that your view about PhD applications wasn't realistic enough, which might eventually lead to dismay and unnecessary waste of time and money. Of course, I hope that this won't happen and that you can get into whatever schools you want, but it's always a good idea to do more careful self-appraisal and "fit" analysis (evaluating the fit between your interests and those of professors at your dream schools) before spending hundreds of dollars on application fees.
For PhD Applicants: http://phdent.blogspot.com/
hsudk
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 196
註冊時間: 2005-11-04 15:03

文章juyu » 2008-02-19 04:15

Hello Novastar,

Maybe at this time point it's a little late but I still want to say something - if you feel you are interested in it, just go for it no matter it's big fish or small fish. I just happened to see your post and found your background is very similar to me. The undergraduate school might be the only difference - I was from a no-name school in Taiwan. And, I do get a offer from a decent Business school although for my personal reason I didn't accept it in the end. I can hardly deny that your chance is not that high, but to a certain degrees it's not that significant too. How high is absolutely high? After all, your chance is dependent on your relative position among applicants. Also, one person only can secure one spot finally. Therefore, don't worried too much about the chance.

By and large, please don't be discouraged if you really want it. As far as I know, almost every Business phd student has his or her "long story" about how to get in the program. Please don't be scared by these advices although they are real true. All in all, it's truly worth trying it; otherwise, story is always story and hard to turn into your life.

Sorry for dumping another "long story" :)
最後由 juyu 於 2008-02-21 00:09 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
juyu
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 33
註冊時間: 2005-07-25 22:01

下一頁

回到 PhD 申請交流區

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 47 位訪客