[選校]JHU、Rutgers 和 加拿大Schulich(YORK U)

留學美洲的各種資訊交流

版主: raist, Opeman

[選校]JHU、Rutgers 和 加拿大Schulich(YORK U)

文章ichiro37 » 2009-05-02 01:28

手上已收到JHU 的MSF,Rutgers的MQF,和加拿大York 的MSF,未來想朝向交易員或者IB,畢業後想回亞洲,不限台灣,我對三家的考慮如下:

JHU:學校名氣很大,但商學院太新,我怕師資或者校友甚至未來就業助益不大

Rutgers:離紐約市中心非常近,但在金融風暴下,似乎也不像是個優勢,課程較其他兩家硬,不過我想Quantitave相關訓練對就業也不無幫助

York:費用相對其他兩家便宜,在FT排名頗高,不過國內似乎名氣不大(至少我身邊的朋友同事長官沒幾個人聽過),網路上消息也不多,而"留學去加拿大不如去美國,除非要移民加拿大"的言論充斥,也不知道該如何取捨。

希望能有前輩能給我點意見@@ ;)
頭像
ichiro37
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 7
註冊時間: 2005-04-13 00:38

Re: [選校]JHU、Rutgers 和 加拿大Schulich(YORK U)

文章Jason Lee » 2009-05-04 03:12

Based on the following reasons, I, personally, would vote for Johns Hopkins.

1. Every business school starts somewhere. Rome is not built in a day. For example, the youngest elite business school among top 20 is Duke which was only funded in 1970. I bet when Duke started the program, many people questioned about the program. However, Duke has taken its business program to somewhere today. With private recourses, it is foreseeable that JHU will take its business programs to join elite schools within next 5 to 15 years (maybe longer or shorter). The first full time MBA program will be offered in 2010 fall. The reason that US News or other magazines could not rank JHU is because that it does not have a full time MBA program. With the new program, JHU business might be ranked within a short period.

2. Who is the business dean at JHU now? If you had attended University of Washington –Seattle or recently, University of Southern California, you might have heard this guy. His name is Yash Gupta. What had he done to make him so special that JHU wanted so bad to recruit him? He has taken University of Washington to top 18 in US News in 2005 and it was the year that USC recruited him. Within a few years, he, again, had made USC to a top 25 program in US News (USC is ranked #20 by US News in 2009). Whether to keep USC at the current competitive level is the new dean's job. University of Washington only made it to top 20 in one year and now is back to top 30 to 40. With the new full time MBA program, Gupta is likely to take JHU to join first US News ranking and then among top elite schools.

3. Private universities take top 20 spots in overall ranking in the US. Johns Hopkins is among of one of the top 20 spots. Although one would argue that the overall university ranking has not much to do with top Business school rankings, please, for example, take a look at the recent US News top MBA rankings, Magic 7 and most top 20 MBA schools are private. Most recently, two private schools have moved from outside of top 30 into top 25 (USC and Washington University in St. Louis). I think that it is going to be the trend that top private schools will take all the top business ranking spots (just like the overall rankings).

4. JHU is often considered as one of the top 3 medical schools (Harvard, Washington University in St. Louis and JHU). Like every young business programs, JHU is still trying to develop its name in business world. However, the overall brand name of Johns Hopkins cannot be ignored.

I feel that the business program at JHU is going to be somewhere within this or next decade. If you are a long-term investor, JHU might be a good stock to invest.
Jason Lee
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 94
註冊時間: 2007-02-04 08:59

文章ichiro37 » 2009-05-06 15:45

感謝您的意見^^
頭像
ichiro37
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 7
註冊時間: 2005-04-13 00:38

文章chinchin0928 » 2009-05-09 00:41

hey,

Congratulations!! It's a good start to have couple choices on hand. ;)

Currently I am studying my third semester in Schulich and really enjoy the intense and diverse program. Can I know more about your backgroud and expectation about MBA before giving you the recommendation?

sharon
chinchin0928
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 4
註冊時間: 2006-12-05 16:01

回到 美洲MBA留學相談室

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 14 位訪客