淺談-Kellogg differentiator/Sports business related resources

留學美洲的各種資訊交流

版主: raist, Opeman

淺談-Kellogg differentiator/Sports business related resources

文章gfar » 2010-12-19 06:54

最近回答一些申請者的問題 分享在這裡 -

Q: Kellogg differentiator?I think Kellogg's culture is a big differentiators among top schools. In terms of teaching quality, brand name, and reputation, you won't go wrong if you got into top 5 (or top 10) schools. What makes differences are people and how the specific resources of that school can help you achieve your career goal. I will focus on the former here. From my experience, Kellogg is the best school in getting all students bounded for long term relationship. In addition to all activities across each Quarter, before school, we have KWEST, GIM, and annual Ski trip...etc. Through those activities, you got to know more your fellow classmates much deeper developing more long-term personal relationship.

Q: Sports business related resources at Kellogg?My guess is that opportunity for sports related business for MBAs is not as much in general. Thus, compared to consulting, banking, CPG, high-tech, PEVC...etc, they are not major recruiters in B-Schools. However, as Kellogg is a extremely strong school in General Management and Marketing, some sports brands such as Nike do recruit at Kellogg. I found there are 3 kellogg alumni working in Nike China as GM, Director positions.

That being said, as you can see Kellogg has Sports Business Club and also Conference (maybe the only B-school has it), there is a not small community interested in sports biz where you can get lots of industry insights from peers. Also, Club organized Sports Business Industry Primer for students. I believe that sometimes club resources are more helpful than CMC. So if you are committed to this industry, Kellogg is a surely a good choice.

From faculty resources perspective, two famous professors are specialized in marketing and sports business - Eric Anderson and Richard Honack. There is even a class designed for sports business*. Also, Kellogg has annual Super Bowl advertisement review led by some famous faculty.

*Sports Marketing and Management (MKTG-951-0)

This course counts toward the following majors: Marketing, Marketing Management
This course examines the problems of attracting sports fans in an increasingly competitive, fragmented, and global entertainment marketplace. It surveys the current state of sports marketing practices and discusses specific strategies and tactics of fan connection. Topics include sports branding, star power, globalization, event marketing, interactive media and technology, fantasy sports and the ways that marketers can implement change to engage fans. Students study the specific set of challenges and opportunities facing sports and entertainment properties and apply the class concepts to their own final project, in which they develop a brand transformation plan for an existing sports property. As a case study of marketing in the sports world, the course is designed to deliver insights and strategies for marketers not only interested in pursuing careers in the sports and entertainment industries but in other sectors as well.

PS1: Kellogg ambassador event @ Taipei (Dec 22)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33045

PS2: Some more (old) articles at my wretch blog (not updated for long time!)
Chi-Yuan (Steven) Liu
MBA Candidate | Class of 2011
Kellogg School of Management
Northwestern University
stevenliu.tw@gmail.com
gfar
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 58
註冊時間: 2006-03-28 17:19

回到 美洲MBA留學相談室

誰在線上