Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - HOW TO PASS LEVEL 1

HOW TO PASS LEVEL 1

CFA資格考試,以及投行生涯討論專區

版主: evelight, rolando

HOW TO PASS LEVEL 1

文章henrychentw » 2005-02-07 23:27

轉錄自analystforum.com

I thought to get away from rehashing hell perpetually on this addictive forum we could help some of the DEC L1 guys on their journey. Maybe some of the recent L1's could add to this.

The key to passing Level I easily for me was practicing the tests-Use your testbanks over and over again. I took over 8000 questions on the computer. Use this to complement the notes (my preference was Schweser). Although I had every textbook I never opened one except for ethics.

Although it is blatantly obvious, learning the material focusing on the LOS is important. Especially the material that comes back in Level II. A strong base is very helpful, especially the base in portfolio, quant etc. which helped me immensely for L2

Learn you calculator completely. There were questions that you could enter numbers into your calculator and get the answer directly (i.e. quant etc.).

I thought I would post a list of the functions you should know on your TI calculator that are directly applicable to the CFA tests (at least level 1). Although not much time is spent on this topic knowing your calculator should be Study Session 19.

The functions are:
1) One variable statistics (pg 7-10)
2) Entering data (7-5)
3) Breakeven Worksheet (8-16)
4) Interest Conversion (8-7)
5) TVM (2-14)
6) Cash flow worksheet (NPV/IRR) (4-1)
7 ) Percent change/Compound Interest (8-2)

If you know these you will pick up points without any hand calculations. I guarantee it. Remember to know how to change between beginning and end when doing cash flow problems and set your calculator to P/Y=1 when you take it out of the bag.

In the interest of fair disclosure I also have two HP's from my engineering days but chose to take the TI due to these worksheets and ease of use offsetting the value of RPN for long equations.

I THINK THE ONLY WAY TO DO WELL ON ETHICS IS TO BUY THE AIMR ETHICS BOOK< READ IT AND TAKE AS MANY PRACTICE QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE. ETHICS IS SOMETHING YOU NEED A "FEEL OR INSTINCT" FOR.

HAVE A SYSTEMATIC STUDY PLAN FOCUSING ON THE LOS QUESTIONS

The study method that you should do for level 1 is the following in order of priority:
1) Get a good set of study notes from a reputable provider with sample exams ( You can get sample notes from each provider to see what best fits you-I read the notes to see if I understand the LOS literally and clearly.
2) Get access to a good computerized testing system
3) Buy the books-I didn't crack them for Level I but I have used all of them for LEVEL II so far.
4) Use a three day course after you have learned the material not to learn it but to pull it all together (To see the forest through the trees).
henrychentw
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 192
註冊時間: 2004-12-05 20:32
來自: Hong Kong

文章henrychentw » 2005-02-07 23:30

轉錄自analystforum.com

The suggestions for LI (from someone who doesn't know if he passed) are:

1. Focus on qualitative more than quantitative. I knew so many freakin' formula's that I was never able to use on the test (but maybe they'll come in handy at LII?).
2. Be able to connect all the financial statements and draw conclusions between changes in accounting practices: LIFO vs. FIFO, Capital vs. Operating Leases, etc.
3. Way too much emphasis was put on CF statements - maybe 2 or 3 questions on this entire subject?
4. Develop a gameplan and stick to it. My biggest regret was that I was all over the place. Started with textbooks, then went to Schweser notes, then started taking mocks 2 months before the test. I would start a section and move on to something else before finishing that section (especially when it came to something difficult) --- so I ended up having to master all the difficult concepts at the end.
5. Lastly, I spent way too much time trying to learn the nuances instead of the big picture. I think I would have been much better served grasping the concepts rather than trying to remember every specific detail
Georgetown University
MBA class of 2010

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. -- Aristotle
henrychentw
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 192
註冊時間: 2004-12-05 20:32
來自: Hong Kong

文章James » 2005-03-23 02:08

Aim high, soaring; aim low, sorry.
Don't pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks.
James
黃金會員
黃金會員

文章: 959
註冊時間: 2004-10-28 01:55

回到 全球金融考試及投行生涯規畫專區

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 3 位訪客