Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - 管理顧問的一天

管理顧問的一天

管理顧問公司連續好幾年蟬聯Top MBA畢業生的最愛前五名,快進來瞭解這個產業的魅力,概況,前景,薪資水平與面試訣竅吧!

版主: Opeman, Behemoth

管理顧問的一天

文章spenser[origen] » 2008-01-10 02:36

Sean 大大:

真是太感謝您 熱心 又 專業 的回覆 了

是否可以 斗膽+冒昧 再請問一個問題

有人說 : "選擇工作" 其實是 "選擇一種生活形態"
不知道 做為一位 管理顧問 ,他的的一天生活 會是如何呢?
或者說, 平時生活型態是如何呢?

可以分享一下嗎?
最後由 spenser[origen] 於 2008-01-15 00:38 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
spenser[origen]
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 7
註冊時間: 2008-01-07 19:15

文章Opeman » 2008-01-10 16:43

可以去看看我upload的電子檔
裡面有管理顧問一天的生活,基本上跟大部分的顧問生活都差不多的
Sean Lin
頭像
Opeman
高級會員
高級會員

文章: 486
註冊時間: 2004-11-19 01:24
來自: 香港 Times Square

文章coco » 2008-01-13 22:07

非常非常感謝Sean大大的分享~
coco
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 13
註冊時間: 2005-09-15 12:51

文章Opeman » 2008-01-13 22:59

Greig Schneider is an associate at McKinsey's Boston office. He kindly agreed to share a "typical" workday at McKinsey with Vault.com, noting that no day at McKinsey or any consulting firm can be called typical.

6:15 Alarm goes off. I wake up asking myself why I put "run three times per week" into the team charter. I meet another member of the team and we hobble out for a jog. At least it's warm out – another advantage of having a project in Miami.

7:15 Check voice mail. Someone in London wants a copy of my knowledge building document on managing hypergrowth. A co-worker is looking for information about what the partner from my last team is like to work with.

7:30 Breakfast with the team. We discuss sports, Letterman, and a morning meeting we have with the client team (not necessarily in that order). We then head out to the client.

9:00 Meeting with the client team. We've got an important progress review with the CEO next week, so there's a lot going on. We're helping the client to assess the market potential of an emerging technology. Today's meeting concerns what kind of presentation would be most effective, although we have trouble staying off tangents about the various analyses that we've all been working on. The discussion is complicated by the fact that some key data is not yet available. We elect to go with a computer-based slide show, and begin the debate on the content.

10:53 Check voice mail. The office is looking for an interviewer for Harvard Business School hell weekend. The partner will be arriving in time for dinner, and wants to meet to discuss the progress review. A headhunter looking for a divisional VP. My wife reminding me to mail off the insurance forms.

11:00 Depart with teammate for an interview. We meet with an industry expert (a professor from a local university) to discuss industry trends, and in particular what the prospects are for the type of technology we're looking at. As this is the last interview we plan to do, we are able to check many of our hypotheses. The woman is amazing – we luck out and get some data we need. The bad news is, now we have to figure out what it means.

12:28 As I walk back in to the client, a division head I've been working with grabs me and we head to lunch. He wanted to discuss an analysis he'd given me some information for, and in the process I get some interesting perspectives about the difficulties in moving the technology into full production, and how much it could cost.

1:30 I jump on a quick conference call about an internal knowledge building project I'm working on for the marketing practice. I successfully avoid taking on any additional responsibility.

2:04 Begin to work through new data. After discussing the plan of attack with the engagement manager, I dive in. It's a very busy afternoon, but the data is great. I get a couple "a-ha's" – always a good feeling.

3:00 Short call with someone from legal to get an update on the patent search.

6:00 Team meeting. The engagement manager pulls the team together to check progress on various fronts and debate some issues prior to heading to dinner with the partner. A quick poll determines that Italian food wins – we leave a voice mail with the details.

6:35 Call home and check in with the family. Confirm plans for weekend trip to Vermont. Apologize for forgetting to mail the insurance forms.

7:15 The team packs up and heads out to dinner. We meet the partner at the restaurant, and have a productive (and calorific) meal working through our plans for the progress review, the new data, what's going on with the client team, and other areas of interest. She suggests some additional uses for the new data, adds her take on our debates, and agrees to raise a couple issues with the CFO, who she's known for years. She takes a copy of our draft presentation to read after dinner.

9:15 Return to hotel. Plug in computer and check e-mail, since I hadn't had a chance all day. While I'm logged in, I download two documents I need from the company database, check the Red Sox score, and see how the client's stock did.

10:10 Pre-sleep voice mail check. A client from a previous study is looking for one of the appendices, since he lost his copy. The server will be down for an hour tomorrow night.

10:30 Watch SportsCenter instead of going right to sleep, as I know I probably should.
Sean Lin
頭像
Opeman
高級會員
高級會員

文章spenser[origen] » 2008-01-14 01:42

實在太~~~感謝 Sean 大哥的分享了

感恩喔
頭像
spenser[origen]
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 7
註冊時間: 2008-01-07 19:15

文章mxsunx » 2008-01-20 15:38

請問版主
在香港BCG的這幾個月
專案都以哪以居多?
北京, 上海, 台北, 香港?
在香港和在國內或是台灣的時間比例大概是多少?
mxsunx
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 1
註冊時間: 2006-07-27 13:59

文章Opeman » 2008-01-29 10:55

我目前在BCG已經半年多。

50%時間在台灣,50%在香港。預計過完農曆年後,會開始在大陸作專案。

不過,在BCG這都是可以跟你的staffing manager談的, 只要妳願意,妳可以全年幾乎都在大陸,或是全年幾乎都在香港。 在我們公司,個人工作環境的意願還是非常受到重視的。
Sean Lin
頭像
Opeman
高級會員
高級會員

文章mn » 2008-06-15 23:09

Sean 兄,

請教您, 我在一些管顧公司的網站上看到很多顧問都參與過跨國的專案支援. 請問在大中華區的顧問們在專案的安排上面有方面的彈性嗎? 會不會有一些經理帶你做過專案, 之後就想把你綁在他們的專案裡的這種情形發生?

Cheers,
Mn
Dave Sun
MBA Candidate, Class of 2012
Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
dave.sun@tuck.dartmouth.edu
mn
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 23
註冊時間: 2008-06-15 22:01

文章Opeman » 2008-06-17 11:48

To Mn

跨國的項目在大中華區很多。之前就做過一個案子,是幫助歐洲的PE收購台灣的一家公司,因此我的小老闆與同事大多是德國人。而更多的案子是在大中華區沒有presence但是卻想趁熱進入中國市場的跨國公司。

專案的安排有一定的彈性,至少在BCG,妳可以跟Staffing Manager說妳的地點偏好與想專注的領域。

至於你所提到的"綁"在專案上的情況也會發生,尤其當妳表現突出,合夥人很欣賞你的表現的時候,就常常會把妳放在他的案子上。Again, 如果妳不喜歡,可以跟Staffing manager反應,傳達你想換領域的期望。
Sean Lin
頭像
Opeman
高級會員
高級會員

文章GOBLIN » 2008-06-17 13:48

Sean,

感謝你在百忙之中還熱麼熱心的回答我門的問題
我可以問一下説再找intern的時候你也是只專注在找consulting方面的工作嗎
因為聽說consulting開出的slots相對很少
他的recuiting期間好像又比banking晚 ,我很怕在這種不景氣的時節 找不到理想的工作
想了解一下當初妳是如何narrow your focus and get a great offer!
thanks!

Tina
GOBLIN
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 43
註冊時間: 2006-02-13 18:32

文章Opeman » 2008-06-17 19:31

Hi Goblin,

現在金融業景氣的確差到谷底!幾乎每一家IB都在裁人,無怪大家會有這樣的憂慮。

對於專心找顧問業的人來說,暑期實習確實比較困難。BCG今年暑期大中華區總共也才發了7-8個Offer,Mck似乎也差不了多少,相較於Full-time的20~30個Offer,暑期實習的競爭激烈確實很高。

也因此,比較保險的方式就是拿一個Corp的實習作為 Plan B. 不論是operation, marketing, finance, strategy, 只要是一間好公司,對於妳Full time要重新找consulting都有相對加分的效果。更何況corp的recruiting時間都比較晚,也相對符合MBA學生時間上的需要。

我自己暑期有幸拿到 Motorola 美國總部的策略部門實習,所以對後來準備顧問業的面試有蠻正面的效果。

不過,如果要同時找IB與顧問,那妳必須要有超人的毅力與能力,同時準備兩種截然不同的面試與社交型態,而且最後可能會兩頭空。
Sean Lin
頭像
Opeman
高級會員
高級會員

文章GOBLIN » 2008-06-17 22:42

thx *1000 !
Great help!!
GOBLIN
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 43
註冊時間: 2006-02-13 18:32

文章Behemoth » 2008-06-18 05:36

Sean說的已經很完整了
我在這邊簡單補充兩點

關於在找intern時如何narrow down your focus
其實不外乎多方面的參加公司的說明會 跟學長姐了解實際工作上的狀況
特別是對你不甚了解的產業
這麼一來會有助於你找到自己真正有興趣的產業
找起來也會事半功倍

再者從找full-time job的角度來看
consulting較不介意你暑期實習做的是什麼
只要你有一份decent的corp job
並且能講清楚why consulting 那麼就沒什麼問題

但以banking來說 若是暑假沒有順利拿到相關領域的offer
那麼在今明年景氣低落的時候 想要一舉在full-time時拿下offer就相對更加困難了
Eric Chang
MBA Class of 2008
MIT Sloan School of Management
頭像
Behemoth
管理員
管理員

文章: 2948
註冊時間: 2004-09-10 18:19
來自: Boston

文章maronchen1103 » 2008-07-01 05:30

Opeman \$m[1]:Hi Goblin,

我自己暑期有幸拿到 Motorola 美國總部的策略部門實習,所以對後來準備顧問業的面試有蠻正面的效果。

不過,如果要同時找IB與顧問,那妳必須要有超人的毅力與能力,同時準備兩種截然不同的面試與社交型態,而且最後可能會兩頭空。

Hi Sean,

請問一下, IB跟MC的社交型態差別在哪?

最近幾個consulting公司都有辦一些network的活動
對於pre-MBA的學生,應該做什麼準備?或是抱持的什麼心態?(例如去了解公司,認識key man, contact person, 了解在MBA的學習的重點,還有什麼嗎?)

Thanks
Max
maronchen1103
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 54
註冊時間: 2005-09-01 23:14

文章Opeman » 2008-07-01 13:48

To Maron,

IB與MC社交型態最大的差異是:

IB妳要想盡辦法在說明會或是餐會讓recruiter記得你,對妳有好印象,後續拿到正式面試邀請的機會才大。因此,在一大群競爭者中,問對的問題並且與recruiter建立良好的互動是主要關鍵。

MC的說明會則僅僅是一點點加分的效果,甚至所有的說明會都不去也無所謂。只要妳的履歷夠好,夠吸引人,自然會拿到面試邀請。因此,履歷才是是關鍵。
Sean Lin
頭像
Opeman
高級會員
高級會員

下一頁

回到 Management Consulting Firm 管理顧問公司 討論專區

誰在線上