學長們最推薦的必修課?

Chicago GSB 申請人, 同學, 及校友的交流專版

版主: Opeman

Re: 學長們最推薦的必修課?

文章alvachang » 2008-09-16 06:05

Gosh I finally made it here after the first few crazy (and fun) weeks!!! Let me contribute more in the coming days for sure~

Still debating between marketing strategy and competitive strategy.... Sean, marketing strategy seems more limited in scope when compared to competitive strategy, which discusses strategy for a whole business unit and seems more relevant for consulting interviews. however, the professors also said that they think it is better to take comp. strategy in the winter quarter after picking up more micro-economics frameworks. Sean, do you think taking marketing strategy will in any way not prepare me enough for the internship interivews?

alva
alvachang
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 3
註冊時間: 2008-09-16 05:56

文章Opeman » 2008-09-16 12:01

Taking marketing strategy is almost enough for summer internship preparation. Besides, before the interview u'll be able to take half of the courses of competitve strategy.

Besides, from my experience most of the case interviews are more related to marketing stratgey: price, place, promotion and products.

Lastly, it's a two year war. Given the economy slowdown, spots for summer will be more limited and you guys should focus more on full-time positions.

Good luck!

Sean
Sean Lin
頭像
Opeman
高級會員
高級會員

文章: 486
註冊時間: 2004-11-19 01:24
來自: 香港 Times Square

文章alvachang » 2008-09-18 14:01

Sean thanks for the advice! I finally ended up with marketing strategy class with quite some points spent there.

yeah i totally agree that with the internship prospect looking dimmed this year, i am thinking more about back-up options for the summer and figuring out a sustainable phase for the 2-year recuiting battle!!

alva
alvachang
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 3
註冊時間: 2008-09-16 05:56

文章Tuxedobear » 2008-10-06 04:30

I took Marianna Bertrand's competitive strategy this quarter. As Sean commented before, she speaks REALLY fast....along with her terrible french accent. This course is def my heaviest one in this quarter and hope i can really pass it and understand what she is talking about more and more, so it will be worth since I bid 5200 points for this class...

Ma~
Tuxedobear
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 9
註冊時間: 2007-03-05 00:03

文章Opeman » 2008-10-06 18:54

To bear:

I thought I warned you before: Don't take competitive strategy unless you have a good understanding of micro-economics.
Besides, she speaks super fast, and cold-call a lot ? It's definitely not a good class for MBA first quarter.

Good luck anyway :)

Sean
Sean Lin
頭像
Opeman
高級會員
高級會員

文章: 486
註冊時間: 2004-11-19 01:24
來自: 香港 Times Square

文章boredjimmy » 2008-10-07 10:28

Ha, after the first wk of class, here's my $0.02...

First impressions of classes:

-definitely faster paced than I expected.

-smart classmates, most of the questions asked were critical to further understand the concepts.

-for $470 USD / class, not much time for day-dreaming/napping/slacking off. Every minute counts.

-Operations Management is by far the most interesting class for me, although not sure how useful it is in an interview
setting.

-I was very impressed with Dr. Hansen's Regression class, he sure as heck doesn't spend any time BS'ing (or entertain BS
from our more attention-craving classmates 8-) )

-Loads of free lunches, but of the same variety... Sandwiches and pizzas are getting old pretty quickly!

-First two wks are relatively slow, but the next two wks' schedule look to be insanely busy, with almost all free time slots
triple-booked with career services/resume workshops/company info sessions/lunch&learns/conferences
/study groups/sports activities/dinner parties/drinking parties/poker parties...

Here's wishing every one of us best of luck!

-Jimmy
University of Chicago GSB, Class of 2010
頭像
boredjimmy
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 30
註冊時間: 2006-11-12 15:33

上一頁

回到 Chicago Booth School of Business

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 1 位訪客