Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - UIUC對BC 的MSF

UIUC對BC 的MSF

所有商科非MBA及理工科系碩士申請經驗分享及交流

UIUC對BC 的MSF

文章GoldDigger » 2005-04-07 18:28

說到學校的認知,我還太嫩了,現在面臨一個抉擇,
有幾個問題向大家請教.

我現在考慮UIUC 及 Boston College的MSF,
UIUC已經有admission,6.3開始
Boston在waiting list.....可能要等到9月
UIUC的排名一向在BC前面20名左右,而說到Finance方面兩者似乎不相上下.
我想知道這種20名的差異是否在硬體上、教學上、聲譽上有明顯的差異?

BC有地點上的優勢,雖說UIUC也離Chicago不遠,
對找工作來說,也有人說movement between cities在美國很普遍......
不在波士頓也沒太大差異.
再者UIUC聽說是玉米田大學,中國人特多.......我比較想到BC,
聽說那裡中國人很少.

很需要聽聽不同的意見,請大家幫我分析一下~~ :^) :^) :^)
圖檔
頭像
GoldDigger
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 150
註冊時間: 2005-02-15 23:31

文章流浪水手 » 2005-04-07 18:46

UIUC的MSF在美國很難找到工作
我會選BC,畢竟Boston也是個金融重鎮
頭像
流浪水手
高級會員
高級會員

文章: 445
註冊時間: 2004-11-10 13:48
來自: Portland, Oregon

文章kristayang » 2005-04-07 18:47

小小意見 其實排名都是在排MBA 並沒有很特別的對MSF做排名 曾聽過念NYU的朋友讚美過
BC的MSF 原因不太記得 也有可能是個人偏頗 但是如果沒有金錢上考量(boston生活費不便宜) 也能適應同學間比較貴氣些的生活習慣 那我會選BC:)
聽說今年UIUC MSF打算收20個左右 給你參考看看
如果只是先求有,再求好,那麼『最好』就會離你很遠了!!
kristayang
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 193
註冊時間: 2005-03-20 11:39

文章dock » 2005-04-07 19:05

小小的看法
據說UIUC離芝加哥有兩小時車程 我覺得還滿遠的
BC的MSF其實中國人很多 BC只有大學部中國人很少
還有聽說BC MSF大部份課程都是晚上上課
頭像
dock
高級會員
高級會員

文章: 317
註冊時間: 2004-10-30 19:56

文章GoldDigger » 2005-04-07 19:08

是否大家對UIUC的MSF都不看好呢??

其實我也很想住在Boston啊~~~~~
UIUC離芝加哥有兩小時車程.....真的會對找工作有影響嗎???
圖檔
頭像
GoldDigger
中級會員
中級會員

文章流浪水手 » 2005-04-07 20:02

我覺得除了location外
UIUC的MSF給美國人的印象
就是"給國際學生唸的"
而且之前還不用GMAT成績
頭像
流浪水手
高級會員
高級會員

文章: 445
註冊時間: 2004-11-10 13:48
來自: Portland, Oregon

文章mose » 2005-04-08 10:37

如果是我會選BC

btw
想請問一下你已經跟BC interview了嗎?
大約是何時?
我到現在一點消息也沒
拒絕信只差這一家就集滿了
mose
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 37
註冊時間: 2005-04-04 11:27

文章GoldDigger » 2005-04-08 11:05

確定大概300多人申請

聽大陸人的消息.
收40個
interview只有8個人而已.

BC的admission decision要log in online apply網頁,
在網頁下方有聯結,是不會寄信給你的.

結果應該是都有了喔!!
圖檔
頭像
GoldDigger
中級會員
中級會員

文章James » 2005-04-08 11:53

你有沒有去PTT的高階財務精算版看看,那邊精算及財工的人很多
也對財工所有評價
Aim high, soaring; aim low, sorry.
Don't pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks.
James
黃金會員
黃金會員

文章: 959
註冊時間: 2004-10-28 01:55

文章kristayang » 2005-04-09 00:33

轉貼一篇BW Forums對BC MSF的評價 給您參考:
I happen to be currently enrolled in the MSF. I used to be MBA/MSF, and then realized that it was not such a good idea...
BC's program is probably as good as any top 30 program out there from an academic standpoint, and they have an extrememly solid finance department. Their only problem is their approach to career counseling. I agree that the alumni network is great, and that it is an important part of the source for internship and jobs. But it can not be the only resource, especially for career switchers. The career services at BC tend to sit on their hands all day and refer you to the alumni database regardless of economic / recruiting conditions. They do not hold a career fair, or invite companies for symposiums for graduate students (strangely encough, there seems to be at least some of that for the undergrad program). That means that if you aim to work in a company or field where the school has no alumni, you are pretty much screwed since the school's name recognition is unjustifiably low at best.
I wanted to go into management consulting post graduation. I realized that BC was not going to help me. I just applied and was admitted to Duke and will be doing my MBA there after finishing the MSF.
kristayang
中級會員
中級會員

文章GoldDigger » 2005-04-09 10:56

這真是寶貴的意見!!
還有沒有人提供啊!!
圖檔
頭像
GoldDigger
中級會員
中級會員

文章kristayang » 2005-04-09 11:59

再給你一篇 UIUC MSF的:

hi there, i was with MSF 2000~2001 and happened to see your question. I made few assumptions before answering your questions:

assumption A: you love financial engineering very much, and hate all other management courses unless they are related to finance, especially in financial engineering

answer: I strongly suggest you choose other programs cuz MSF only provides very basic financial engineering course such as Fin472. Almost every student in MSF never know how to do 'programming' to solve or provide trading tools or financial risk management solutions, which is the main weakness compared to students with a math or quant major. If you wanna be with investment banking, I suggest you should go for other programs which require basic programming language such as C++ or Delphi.

assumption B: Even though you love financial engineering very much, rewarming corporate finance and learning some derivatives work fine to you as well

Answer: MSF hooks u up very much.

Other answers: Pre-school? no need to go to language school. You can know every word after few classes. Worrying about your english but you hate MBA so ~~~ much because of lots tedious and boring management classes? Dont' worry and just go for some 'bible study' groups twice in a week.

Regret: After my graduation from MSF, I went to Case Western Reserve for MIS program and back to UIUC for accouting major afterwards. I shouldn't have chosen MSF.

My career: investment banking industry, couped with programming and financial knowledges.
kristayang
中級會員
中級會員

文章GoldDigger » 2005-04-09 12:12

kristayang \$m[1]:再給你一篇 UIUC MSF的:

hi there, i was with MSF 2000~2001 and happened to see your question. I made few assumptions before answering your questions:

assumption A: you love financial engineering very much, and hate all other management courses unless they are related to finance, especially in financial engineering

answer: I strongly suggest you choose other programs cuz MSF only provides very basic financial engineering course such as Fin472. Almost every student in MSF never know how to do 'programming' to solve or provide trading tools or financial risk management solutions, which is the main weakness compared to students with a math or quant major. If you wanna be with investment banking, I suggest you should go for other programs which require basic programming language such as C++ or Delphi.

這個......,去IB的人要會programming嗎??

assumption B: Even though you love financial engineering very much, rewarming corporate finance and learning some derivatives work fine to you as well

Answer: MSF hooks u up very much.

Other answers: Pre-school? no need to go to language school. You can know every word after few classes. Worrying about your english but you hate MBA so ~~~ much because of lots tedious and boring management classes? Dont' worry and just go for some 'bible study' groups twice in a week.

Regret: After my graduation from MSF, I went to Case Western Reserve for MIS program and back to UIUC for accouting major afterwards. I shouldn't have chosen MSF.

My career: investment banking industry, couped with programming and financial knowledges.
圖檔
頭像
GoldDigger
中級會員
中級會員

文章kristayang » 2005-04-09 12:41

以上兩篇 一篇是取自BW Forums;一篇是 UIUC學長寄給我的信,同時也有貼在UIUC TSA版上。 給您做參考啦。其實各有優缺點,尋找Fit in的比較重要囉:)
p.s昨天跟一位優秀的台大經濟畢業的網友聊 耳聞UIUC MSF從去年起有顯著的改變
還有跟企業做internship的合作 而且不是打雜 但是不是這樣 可能要去問問囉:)
kristayang
中級會員
中級會員

文章mose » 2005-04-11 16:54

GoldDigger \$m[1]:確定大概300多人申請

聽大陸人的消息.
收40個
interview只有8個人而已.

BC的admission decision要log in online apply網頁,